THE AICM BUILDING HISTORY
Completed in 1876, the AICM building was the first substantial public masonry building erected on Gympie’s goldfield, the construction of which was an important step in the evolution of Gympie from a goldfield shanty town to a permanent settlement. It is one of Gympie’s oldest extant buildings and is the third-oldest known surviving court house building in Queensland.
A World War II air raid shelter located behind the main building provides an insight into the government’s response to the threat of Japanese air raids, and its policy of providing safe shelter during an air raid that would enable government to continue to function after an attack.
By 1901, the building had outlived its usefulness as a court house and was subsequently used as the Lands Office and other state government departments. Designed by the Colonial Architect’s Office, the building is of brick construction and is typical of the earliest type of Queensland single-storey buildings; with a wide low level verandah, high, arched fanlights, and arches above rectangular doorways and windows.